Director of Trauma Services
This is an outstanding opportunity to join one of the top academic medical centers in the country and be part of a high-performing, quality-focused senior leadership team in a results-driven, evolving healthcare system. THIS PERSON IS TASKED WITH TAKING THE HOSPITAL FROM A LEVEL 2 TO A LEVEL 1 FACILITY. PRIOR RELEVANT EXPERIENCE NEEDED HERE.
Provide leadership and administration to the trauma program throughout the system on a 24-hour basis. The scope includes the trauma programs, system integration and outreach with hospitals, EMS agencies and the community and regulatory compliance. Identify, introduce, assimilate, and promote change successfully. Design new and better processes in patient care utilizing an interdisciplinary and multi-departmental approach to achieve quality and superior services across the continuum of care. Coordinate and evaluate program development, personnel decisions, budget, and provision of services in conjunction with the organizational strategic plans. Work closely with the medical directors of all related services.
Leadership Competencies (for Leaders only):
- Charts team direction that promotes UCHealth Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Imperatives
- Achieves results
- Promotes UCHealth Standards of Excellence Champions Service Excellence
- Stewards UCHealth resources Drives continuous improvement
- Facilitates the development of others
- Engages staff (promotes staff engagement)
- Focuses on personal development
- Applies strategies to maintain personal health
Personal and Professional Attributes
The successful candidate will possess the following traits to fit into the UCHealth culture. Specifically, the following attributes, skills and abilities are required:
- Collaborative style
- Service mindset
- Executive-level impact and presence
- Capability to build strong working relationships in a matrix role
- Strong interpersonal skills and leadership skills
- Ability to work well with people upwards, downwards and sideways in the organization
- Highly energetic, focused and execution-oriented
- A hands-on individual
- Ability to implement tactically and to be a strategic thinker
- Global perspective and cultural sensitivity
- Strong work ethic
- Thick skinned while empathic
- Demonstrated ability to perform successfully in a fast paced, changing and challenging environment
- Polished politically and organizational sensitivity/skills
- Experience creating learning and development approaches, leadership development, change management and organizational development initiatives
- Ability to work in a heterogeneous organization consisting of two community hospitals and an academic medical center
- Skilled at interfacing with key stakeholders to ensure the issues he/she brings to the table are addressed holistically
- Great thought leader who is able to influence at all levels of the organization
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ongoing development and implementation of a strategic business plan for the system trauma service line, integrating the scope of service with the system mission, vision and goals in a collaborative approach.
- Align trauma programs within set regulatory standards (CDPHE, ACS, JCAHO) for continual compliance.
- Monitor emerging trends in trauma care and systems to strategically prioritize needs based on an operational plan.
- Complete budget development for program, including immediate and projected needs of human, material, space and financial resources.
- Assume fiscal management and accountability of budgets, evaluating and adjusting for significant variances and implementing strategies for optimal reimbursement.
- Provide a sufficient number of qualified and competent staff to operate the trauma programs within the system.
- Provide for orientation, in-service training and continuing education of trauma program staff.
- Provide an evaluation process for all employees which promotes motivation for professional growth and self-improvement, and provides disciplinary action when needed.
- Knowledgeable of HR policies and practices; demonstrate consistency in application.
- Assist in contract negotiation and recruitment of medical staff for the trauma panel.
- Promote partnering relationship between medical staff and the system.
- Create and maintain an environment where employees have the opportunity for self-expression, accountability for job performance and job satisfaction. Improve employee culture participation; develop and implement action plans for areas needing improvement.
- Coordinate and integrate trauma services within departments and with other departments in a collaborative approach.
- Resolve problems (both internal and external) in a timely, productive, non-defensive and problem-solving mode.
- Participate in selecting outside sources for needed services.
- Participate in community and professional activities relevant to health care and meaningful to self, identifying personal/professional contribution and return on the time investment.
- Participate in the development and review of system-wide policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of optimal trauma care.
- Ensure excellence through an integrated performance improvement program.
- Coordinate and assist in the development of performance indicators, methods of data collection, information analysis and reporting quality related information to key customers.
- Collaborate with medical staff to establish an effective process of peer review and performance improvement.
- Promote professional activities that maintain staff competence in trauma care through orientation and continuing education.
- Support the Patient Safety Management program goals and policies.
- Foster a blame-free culture among employees, thereby encouraging staff to report incidents and identify risks as they occur.
- Oversee the trauma registries and compliance with state regulatory standards.
- Ensure an adequate data set and data systems to support the goals of the individual programs and system.
- Promote evidence-based practice through research, regional and national peer-reviewed publications and presentations.
- Enhance outreach to trauma care providers of facilities/agencies within the system tertiary service area through building relationships, assessing the needs and provision of resources to enhance systematic trauma care.
- Provide for injury surveillance to assess local risk factors and promote effective injury prevention programs aimed at reduction of such risk factors, collaborating with local organizations pursuing the common goal.
- Represent the system in local, regional and state trauma system development and implementation through regulatory participation, governmental liaison and legislative initiative.
- Serve as a community resource and as a contact to local organizations, government, and media relations regarding injury.
- Participate in facility, community, regional and national disaster planning.
Minimum Required Education:
Bachelor's degree in Nursing. Preferred: Master's degree in a relevant field.
5 years of nursing experience. 2 years of supervisory experience. Familiar with requirements for both level 2 and level 3 trauma centers.
Licenses and Certifications:
State licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN). Relevant life support certification as defined by unit certification list.
National certification in leadership, management, or clinical specialty preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
Within scope of job, requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and take appropriate action.