The trauma registrar is responsible for complete and accurate data collection and maintenance of records for all patients who meet inclusion criteria for the Trauma Registry. Standards for data collection are based on Cook Children's Medical Center policies and procedures, the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma (ACSCOT) and Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS) EMS and Trauma Registry.
The Trauma Registrar is responsible for abstracting and entering data into the Trauma Registry accurately, generating reports and performing routine system maintenance. The Registrar will upload registry data to the regional, state and national registries as required and follow up on accuracy of the data. The Trauma Registrar is responsible for coordinating the quality review of abstracts entered into the registry. Responsibilities also include assisting with the annual report, conducting a variety of data analysis and reports, coordinating and preparing for survey by the American College of Surgeons. This position requires a background in medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, data analysis and collection and relies heavily on diagnosis and procedure coding.
- 2 years of experience with medical records coding and abstracting preferred.
- Experience with injury severity scoring preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology and trauma disease processes is essential.
- Computer skills essential including excel and word.
- Experience with Digital Innovations COLLECTOR a plus.
- Certification as a Trauma Registrar a plus.