Responsible for maintaining the trauma registry data base to include patient identification, abstraction, coding and entering data; retrieval and presentation of registry data for quality improvement, education and research. Works closely with the Trauma PI coordinator to ensure accurate statistical trauma data. Must be comfortable with interpreting medical clinical data and with advanced computing and data analysis skills.
1. Graduation from an accredited program or University in a health care related field or in Health Information Technology
2. Work experience with knowledge of ICD9 trauma coding, AIS scoring, and two to three years of medical record and / or coding experience / database entry may be substituted for educational preferences
3. Knowledge of Collector desirable
Licensures & Certifications:
HIM Coding Specialist (CCS or RHIT certified) desirable
1. Excellent computer skills necessary to manage and manipulate a large database
2. Computer and internet skill and experience including familiarity and comfort with Windows and MS office to include Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint
3. Proficiency in the review and abstraction of clinical patient information from a medical record
4. Mathematical ability necessary to validate and analyze data
5. Excellent organizational skills; detailed orientated; able to work independently as work load varies on a daily bases; able to meet deadlines.
6. Interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with physicians and other staff