The Trauma Registrar II is responsible for the accurate and timely collection, review, analysis, entry, coding, maintenance and reporting of clinical data for The University of Kansas Health System Trauma/Burn Registries. The Trauma Registrar II is responsible for maintaining compliance with National and Kansas State regulations regarding the Trauma/Burn database. The Trauma Registrar II collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to ensure quality, timeliness, and effectiveness of registry services. The Trauma Registrar must provide accurate ICD10 coding and AIS 2005 scoring. The Trauma Registrar produces registry based reports for the Performance Improvement and Patient Safety (PIPS) program, National and State requested data submission and institutional research. This position also performs database maintenance functions and provides routine audits of data quality and validation.
1) Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
2) Accurately identifies, logs and creates registry entry for injured/burned patients meeting criteria for the Trauma/Burn Registry.
3) Performs precise chart analysis and abstraction with appropriate ICD10 and AIS 2005 coding.
4) Collaborates with the Trauma and Burn Services Team in the development and implementation of the PIPS program utilizing the trauma registry data. Provides accurate data and generation of reports for quality and statistical analysis of the program.
5) Assists in the generation of reports specific to epidemiology for use in the development of prevention and outreach programs.
6) Demonstrates an in-depth knowledge of the institutional commitment required to maintain trauma/burn center designation and the functionality of the trauma system. Prepares charts and reports for review during the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Committee on Trauma and American Burn Association site survey visits.
7) Coordinates the collection of data for reporting to state and national registries including the State of Kansas trauma registry, the National Trauma Data Bank, American Burn Association and others as needed.
8) Represents The University of Kansas Health System at regional, state and national meetings specific to the trauma/burn registry
9) Manages the trauma/burn registry program updates and periodically refines the database.
10) As applicable, participates in all aspects of ACS TQIP (Trauma Quality Improvement Program) including training programs, quarterly case studies, conference calls, data submissions and data audits.
11) Maintains registry competencies and continuing education specific to the trauma/burn registry.
- RHIT degree or other associates degree in a health-related field
- Must have completed or will complete within the first 12 months of hire:
(1) the American Trauma Society’s Trauma Registrar Course or equivalent provided by a state trauma program and
(2) the Association of the Advancement of Automotive Medicine’s Injury Scaling Course
- CSTR(Certified Specialist in Trauma Registry) or CAISS (Certified Abbreviated Injury Scale Specialist) within two (2) years of employment
- Trauma experience, AIS/ISS, IDC-9/IDC-10 coding familiarity is strongly preferred